Yesterday I was nominated for the Liebster Award by A Girl Named Wanda, a new blogger who I think is pretty darn cool. She has a great voice and is a lovely read. Check her out! 🙂
Up until my nomination I had never heard of the Liebster Award so I obviously Googled the heck out of it. The Liebster Award is a peer recognition award designed as a way of discovering and promoting new blogs.
Based on what I have read people seem to either really love the Liebster Award or hate it to the fiery depths of their souls. The biggest complaints against it seem to be the chain-letter aspect where it forces you to tag other people.
In my humble opinion anyone who complains about that aspect is a grump. Seriously. In the blogging world Peer Recognition is really the only recognition that counts. And if you yourself are being recognized why on earth would you not want to pay that joy forward?
And yes, it does come with its own set of rules, but that’s a small price to pay for recognition when doing what you love (writing).
In order to accept the Liebster Award nominees must:
- Link and thank the person who nominated you
- Answer the questions they asked you
- Pick eleven awesome bloggers to nominate (preferably those with less than or around 200 followers)
- Ask them eleven questions
- Let them know by commenting on one of their posts
Since I have chosen to accept this award (and have even practiced several acceptance speeches in front of the mirror and while on the phone with my Dad) I will answer the questions submitted to me by Wanda and will also nominate 11 bloggers to share in this honour.
(And yes, skepticism aside, this is an honour.)
Here were the questions submitted to me by A Girl Named Wanda:
- Give one word to describe your blog. Quirky
- What is that one quality that makes you different from other bloggers? This feels like a super pretentious question and I honestly don’t know how to answer it. I think all bloggers bring something unique to the Blogging World. I do my best to offer a unique perspective on things and if that fails I am all for being super sarcastic and hoping that readers don’t notice my lack of unique-ness. (If you are wondering about my lack of unique-ness just take note as to how many times I used the word unique in that last paragraph. This gal needs a thesaurus.)
- Which is that one place in the entire world that you would want to visit before you die? I would absolutely love to go to Iceland. It seems so completely unusual and fascinating.
- Name three things that inspire your writings or pictures: Awkward encounters I have, conversations with my Dad, and just general observations.
- What according to you is more important, money or memories? Memories, obviously. Though I never say no to money (unless it’s for something skeezy).
- Which is that one place, close to your home that always makes you take out your pen or camera? The Gorge Waterway. It’s pretty damn pretty.
- What is that one quality you look for most in a friend? A sense of humour. It is super difficult to be friends with someone who can’t laugh at themselves (Not in a malicious way). I honestly believe that if you can’t laugh at yourself you have no business laughing at anything else.
- How did you start with blogging? I was sending emails to my Dad with funny short stories and random observations and he finally begged me to stop sending him the emails and just start posting them somewhere.
- Which is your most favorite holiday destination to date? (a place you have been) This is a toss-up: I loved, loved, loved New Zealand and have even made it the subject of a Travel Novel I am writing (Read Between the Lines: The Mostly True, Slightly Embellished Story of a Canadian Abroad). But I also really loved Ireland. I have been obsessed with Ireland for as long as I can remember and going there felt a lot like going home.
- What is your favorite hobby other than blogging? I love to make crafts and scrapbook.
- Which is your favorite movie and why? I actually have two. Sleeping Beauty (the Disney Cartoon) is my all-time favourite movie strictly because of the memories associated with watching it while I was growing up. (Yes, Dad, there is a dragon.) My other favourite movie is actually a trilogy: The Lord of the Rings Extended Editions. Yup. I am not original. I have watched these movies dozens of times and they never get old.
Now that I have answered these questions I am supposed to nominate eleven new bloggers for this award.
So here we go:
1. http://theglitteredpterodactyl.wordpress.com/ – The Glittered Pterodactyl has the best blog name on WordPress. Seriously. Also, her writing is pretty damn great. She is quirky, cool, and I always smile whenever I see she has a new post. (Plus I think her glasses are the best.)
2. http://thisthatandtheotherthang.wordpress.com/ – I am cheating with this one because Wendi actually has more than 200 followers, but her blog is kinda the best. (Not even kinda, it is the best.) Since following it I can honestly say I have laughed at everything she has put out. Honestly. Everything. Her blog is my favourite. Read it! Do it! Now!
3. http://accounting-4-life.com/ – I really enjoy this blog! Nathan is a quirky blogger with a lot of hilarious posts (especially this one which made me giggle uncontrollably as I avoided doing my accounting homework).
4. http://xtinaseim.wordpress.com/ – Lovely! (Especially the tagline)
5. http://follysfable.wordpress.com/ – There is only one post on this site but I really love it. The story is cute and the super adorable illustration of a Hedgehog and Blackbird coffee date literally makes my heart melt (but in a non-medical way).
6. http://anothernoteblog.com/ – I only recently started following this blog and I am a fan. There are only two posts so far but I really enjoyed both of them.
8. http://mypessimisticlens.com/ – I love these illustrations. They never fail to make me smile.
9. http://windsweptwriting.wordpress.com/ – I just like it. Click on the link and you’ll see why.
10. http://xinniexinnie.wordpress.com/ – A neat fiction blog! I am eagerly awaiting the next installment of “Gone”.
11. http://lostinflight.wordpress.com/ – I really like this blog! If you’ve ever travelled, or wanted to travel, or even just heard of travel, it’s a good read!
If any of the bloggers I have nominated choose not to participate that is totally cool. I promise not to be offended or cry deeply by myself, alone in my apartment, pondering your rejection of my praise.
But, if you do choose to accept the nomination, here are my 11 questions for you:
- Describe your blog in one sentence.
- Why do you blog?
- What do you feel is the best post you have written?
- Follow-up to Question Three: Why do you feel this is your best post?
- Where do you find your inspirations?
- What do you do when you aren’t blogging?
- Coffee or Tea?
- Who would win in a fight: Spiderman or Daredevil?
- What do you think is the best TV Show of all time?
- Why didn’t you choose Veronica Mars as the answer to Question 9? (If you did you can skip this one)
- What is your favourite book?
Once again, thank you Wanda for the nomination! It definitely made my week and that is saying a lot considering the Caramel Brulée Latte just came back to Starbucks on Sunday and that was a hard one to top.